Meta/Facebook (the owner of Instagram) requires your own app and Access Token to display Instagram posts on your website/blog. Follow the steps below to create a new app and get your Access Token.
NOTE: If you have already created your Facebook app after 26th September 2023 and just need to create a new token (e.g. the previous one you had has expired) - you can jump straight to step 21.
1. Log in to your Facebook account.
2. Go to Facebook for Developers. Follow the steps to connect/create your Facebook for Developers account.
3. After you have created your account, go to the My Apps page. Click the "Create App" button.
4. Select the "Other" option, then click the "Next" button.
5. Select the "Consumer" option, then click the "Next" button.
6. Enter a name for your app. E.g. the same name as your blog/website. Click the "Create app" button.
7. In the left-side menu, click on the "App settings" item and then click "Basic".
8. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the "+ Add platform" button.
9. Select the "Website" option and click "Next".
10. Scroll to the bottom of the page. Enter your website URL into the "Site URL" box (this is the link to your blog/website). Click the "Save changed" button.
11. Click the "Dashboard" item in the left-hand menu.
12. Scroll down to the "Instagram Basic Display" box and click the "Set up" button.
13. Scroll down and click the "Create New App" button.
14. Do not change the app name. Click the "Create app" Button.
15. Scroll down to the "User Token Generator" section of the page. Click the "Add or remove Instagram testers" button.
16. Scroll down to the "Instagram Testers" section. Click the "Add Instagram Testers" button.
17. Enter your Instagram username/handle into the box. It should appear in a list of options which you can select. Click the "Submit" button.
18. In a new tab/window in your web browser, go to https://www.instagram.com and log in to your Instagram account.
20. Click the "Tester Invitations" tab near the top right of the screen. This should show the app you created in Facebook. You can now click the button to accept the invite.
21. Go back to Facebook for Developers and select the app you created.
22. Click the "Instagram Basic Display" item in the left-hand menu. Then click "Basic Display".<
23. Scroll down to the "User Token Generator" section. You should see your Instagram account listed here now. Click the "Generate Token" button.
24. In the window that pops up, you may be asked to sign in to Instagram. Follow the steps to do this.
25. Click the "Allow" button on the next screen.
26. Check the "I understand" box then click the "Copy" button to copy the token to your clipboard.
27. Congratulations! You now have the Instagram Access Token copied to your clipboard. You can paste it into any of our themes/plugins settings as needed.