This page covers some frequently asked questions for the Blogger Importer Extended plugin.
What is the "Don't import authors" option?'
Enabling this option will import any content to the currently logged in user. If you are the only author of the blog, we recommend enabling this option.
What is the "Don't import images" option?'
If this option is enabled, and images in posts and pages will remain hosted by Google. We recommend enabling this option as it has some key benefits:
1. Images on your blog will not take up space on your new WordPress host.
2. Your site will load faster.
3. The import will complete much faster.
Please note, you should not delete your Google account after completing a migration from Blogger. This will allow the redirects to function, as well as keeping the images hosted if you choose not to import them to WordPress (by enabling this option).
What is the " Attempt to clean-up post content" option?'
Blogger post/page content is not well formatted. By enabling this option, any content imported from Blogger will be converted to WordPress standards. This will greatly improve the SEO value of any imported content. However please note it may have unexpected results if your content is complex. For example if you use a lot of HTML tables or advanced formatting.
If this option is not enabled, all content is imported from Blogger without any changes to the HTML.
I keep losing connection! What should I do?
If you see the "connection lost" error, any posts that were imported are not lost and you can continue the import as normal. Sometimes it may take several attempts to reach 100%. Please try again to check if you can progress further to 100%.
The connection can be lost due to a number of reasons. Most commonly it is caused by under-powered web hosting, the WordPress theme, or having too many WordPress plugins. When using some hosts, they will slow down your site if you use too many plugins or a slow theme.
We use Bluehost for hosting our sites and client sites and have not experienced any issues yet.
Here are some tips for easier migrations:
1. Activate a default WP theme such as "Twenty Fifteen". You can do this from the "Appearance" page in your WordPress dashboard.
2. Deactivate all plugins except for Blogger Importer Extended. You can do this from the "Plugins" page in your WordPress dashboard.
3. If possible, do not import blog post comments. Sometimes importing the comments can cause problems, due to triggering spam filter rules at your host. You can stop the import of comments be selecting this option:
4. Make sure your host is using PHP version 7.3 or higher. More info here.
5. Increase the PHP Memory Limit to 256MB via this guide. Your web host will be able to assist with this.
If you need any help with the BIE plugin you are welcome to email email@example.com and we can assist you directly.