So you want to create your own blog? Awesome! We'd love to help you get online and make your own little corner of the internet.
Before getting started, the first thing you need to decide is which blogging site to use. We create themes for two different blogging sites:
We've compared the two blogging platforms below so that you can decide which is best for you.
WordPress is the world leading website/blogging site, currently powering 33% of all websites (as of April 2019). There are different versions of WordPress available, but if you'd like to use our themes and monetize your blog then you would need to use the full version (WordPress.org).
- Use any of the thousands of free plugins from www.wordpress.org/plugins.
- Almost infinitely flexible.
- Our WordPress themes all come with multiple layout options and lots of custom widgets pre-installed.
- Excellent SEO options.
- WordPress is not free to use and requires a hosting service. The 'Basic' plan from Bluehost is $50 for 1 year, or $90 for 3 years. This is a great offer to get your website started!
How to create a WordPress blog:
Creating a WordPress blog takes a few minutes. Follow the steps below to create your blog:
1. Purchase a WordPress hosting package from this page. The 'Basic' plan is $50 for 1 year or around $90 for 3 years. This is a great plan to get started with, however there are also higher level plans to fit any budget.
2. When you login for the first time, you will be asked if you want to setup a new website (example below). Enter a few details and you're good to go!
That's it! Your new site will now be online and you can log in to get started. You can now purchase any of our WordPress themes on this page.
Blogger.com (also known as Blogspot)
Blogger/Blogspot is a free blogging platform provided by Google.
- Free to use.
- Less customisable.
- Restrictions on the type of content you can create.
- Cannot install plugins to extend functionality.
How to create a Blogger blog:
You can create a Blogger blog at any time by going to www.blogger.com. Simply sign in and follow the on screen instructions to get started. It takes a few minutes, then you can purchase any template from this page.
Which platform do we recommend?
WordPress is generally a much better system which allows you to take full control of your blog. However, Blogger is also a great platform if you're just starting out.
The deciding factor really comes down to your budget. If you can afford the modest cost of the annual hosting charge then WordPress will be the better option for most people.
If you have any questions you're welcome to email firstname.lastname@example.org 🙂
Article tags: build a blog, start a blog, create a blog, get started